And this ain’t no S..@#&% !!!!, the stories continue and continues some more….final part – I promise

11 Oct

When I ended part 3 of this series of sea stories I promised I would write about the storm of century.  I am again providing the picture of the USS Independence so you will have a visual.


In 1977 I made my last Mediterranean cruise.  We departed Norfolk in February to make the 5 day transit across the Atlantic. The Independence was accompanied by 6 other surface ships.  My rules of the sea, a group can only go as fast as the slowest ship.  For this cruise we had one of the oldest active fuel ships (oilers) with us.  On a good day (when fully loaded and she was) she could only maintain 10 – 15 knots (a knot = 1.15 mph), so at best the group of ships would make the crossing at approximately 16.5 mph.  This was under ideal conditions, that being smooth’s seas and a following wind.

As we approached departure date, there was a storm brewing in the Atlanta.  ComFive ( Commander 5th Naval District) was responsible for giving clearance for the task force to get underway, ComFive had the finest weather forecasters in the business (supposedly). And by direction, our shipboard forecasters were required to defer to ComFive.

The Indy Task Force departed Norfolk under threatening gray skies,  as soon as the ship cleared Hampton and made open seas, the flight deck was active landing the compliment of airplanes and helo’s approximately 90 in total.  Half the planes were secured to the flight deck, the remainder in the hanger bay.  It was hairy watching the last few planes land on board the ship.  As big as the Indy was, she was riding the conditions.  The gray skies of the morning had turned into a mesh of ugly wet gray skies.  It was no longer threatening to rain it was raining very hard. But the squadrons were securely on board.

The radiomen were much more busy than normal.  The CO (commanding officer & and our Flag officer for 6th fleet) were in constant communications with ComFive regarding the weather.  Everyone was super sensitive to it, and it was getting worst by the minute.  Our Oiler, (remember the slowest ship) was also in constant communications with our CO and the Flag.  We were not having smooth seas and a following wind, we were pushing directly into hell.  The morning of the second day we were pointed directly into the wind. Seas were running 15 – 18 feet, gusts at the 35 – 50 mph range.  The Oiler had to reduce speed to 9 knots because of the conditions.

My watch section was on duty when “FLASH” traffic started passing between ComFive and our Flag (Commander 6th Fleet).  It was determined that we were headed into a serious storm (by the time we got this message we had been in the serious storm for several hours), and that ComFive would advise the Indy Task Force should and when to make any course corrections.  Sitreps (Situation Report) where being sent to ComFive every 30 minutes as the storm worsen. The 6 ships in the task force were screaming at the Indy to change course, but we held fast under direction of ComFive.  Twelve hours later my watch section was again on watch, when we received “FLASH” traffic dictating a change in course. Following established procedures we had this message in the hand of the CO and Flag within 90 seconds of receiving subject message.  I initialed it when I pulled it off the printer and handed it to Gene, Gene my message handler initialed it marked action CO, and Alfonzo initialed it as before he put it in the air tube to the bridge, and we fired it off to the CO.  Total time from the moment the FLASH alarms when off to when it was delivered to the CO 90 seconds. We got a confirmation from the Bridge that the CO was handling the message.  It should be noted proudly that the USS Independence had won the Communications Green C in both 1975 and 1976 as the very best communications ship in its’ class.  It should also be noted that at that time, no carrier had won 2 consecutive Green “C’s, which meant we had our shit together, and as far as communications goes, there wasn’t a better ship in the fleet.

The problem was by the time ComFive’s weathermen decided we were going into a monumental storm we were already ass deep in the storm.  The weather was extreme, gusts of 50-75 mph.  The seas were at 50 feet and some waves were 60 or more feet.  And the storm got worst.  The Task Group was stuck, we could not escape the storm north or south, the storm was way too wide, and we could not put our tail to it.  Another significant problem was that our oiler could not make much headway in these seas, laden with fuel it was almost overcome. Waves were breaking above the bridge on board. And she could only make about 5 knots.  Navy doctrine mandates that the TG can go no faster than that of the slowest ship.  Because the Oiler could only make 5 knots the rest of the ships could only go 5 knots.  We rode this storm for 84 hours, the Independence was taking 12 – 15 degree rolls, almost the max for a carrier.  The Indy had waves breaking on the bow of the ship and at one point a jet was washed over the side. The tin cans were taking as much as 40 degree rolls. And it was reported that the oiler took a 25 degree roll.  Each ship sustained significant damage.  The 6 ships in the Task force lost all rafts and small boats to the storm, most of the communications gear (antenna’s and such) were lost to the storm. The Wainwright had her forward mast snapped in half. In most cases (during the height of the storm) only 1 or 2 radiomen were capable of standing watch on their ships.

Here I am including 4 pictures taken from the 09 level of the Independence, before the storm each its’ zenith.  I would have you again look at the top of the post to see how high the flight deck is off the water. 

Weather 1

In this photo you can see the wave beginning to break onto the flight deck.

Weather 40001

In the following photo the bow of the ship is fully engulfed in the wave.

Weather 20001

This final picture shows the wash from the wave coming to almost midships.

Weather 30001

The signalman taking these photo’s did not get a picture of the plane going over the side, but I got to type the message to CNO that we had lost a plane to the storm.

The Independence lost every antenna from the bow to midships.  If you look at the picture you can see them they are laying sideways, she also lost 75 feet of catwalk on the port (left for you landlovers) side of the ship, and the entire catwalk to the angle on the starboard (right) side.  Catwalk is area just off the flightdeck, and is where men stand during flight operations. In addition when the waves were breaking over the bow of the ship, we had an airplane washed overboard.  The Independence was so damaged we spent the 1st 10 weeks of the cruise tied to the sea wall in Naples Harbor while repairs were being made.  The Wainwright was escorted back to the states and didn’t make the cruise she was deemed to being unable to meet her obligations and was dispatched to the shipyards in Potomac Virginia.  She would not sail again for almost a year.

There was an Admirals Mass, conducted by the TG 60 Commander.  Alfonzo and I were the chief witnesses for communications.  We handled the message traffic, our initials were all over the key messages regarding the storm, and our handling of the message traffic was questioned again and again and again.  We had to stand before the Admiral and his staff and ask tons of questions.  The results of the Admiral’s Mass found the CO, XO, and Ops Boss innocent of any wrong doing.  The entire blame was deposited on ComFive.  The radiomen of the Independence were cited for our professionalism, and attention to detail.  And in particular both I and Alfonzo were given significant credit for the way communications were handled.

“And this ain’t no shit…! ! ! !

I have hundreds of other words in my head about those 84 hours we were in the center of that storm.  But I think you have the jest of it.  It was one @$*^^& ing storm.  If you have any questions or comments please feel free to ask them.  Please take care, Bill


Posted by on October 11, 2013 in Grandpa Stories, Pictures, Ramblings


Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

7 responses to “And this ain’t no S..@#&% !!!!, the stories continue and continues some more….final part – I promise

  1. The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap

    October 11, 2013 at 9:18 pm

    Whoa, scary weather. Great photos. What an adventurous time! Have a great weekend, Bill. Hugs to you. 🙂

    • FlaHam

      October 12, 2013 at 4:59 pm

      Paulette, It was a hell of a storm, and a lot worst than I made it out to be. But the on the other ships had it so much worst, I don’t believe the scale has been created to measure the difference. Almost forty years later, thinking about it becomes consuming. Take care, Bill

  2. Chatter Master

    October 13, 2013 at 10:09 am

    HOLY MOLY Bill! I know your words can only give us a fraction of what you went through. But it was enough for me. I’m glad you weathered that !

  3. Wanda

    October 19, 2013 at 5:52 am

    Bill, I can feel the anger, fear, tension, pride, etc. in every word. Though the property damage was enormous, it seems a miracle there was no loss of human life. This post could well be the basis of a movie screen play. Good job!

    • FlaHam

      October 19, 2013 at 1:14 pm

      Wanda, It is always a pleasure to get your comments. So keep them coming LOL. It was a hell of a storm that we really didn’t need to be in, but as you well know we don’t say no to direct orders. The only saving grace to it is the fact there was no lost of life, and that ComFive got what it deserved. Soft smile, as for it being the stuff movies are made of, because no one died, and because everyone on board the ships did their job, it would be a boring movie. Take care, Bill

  4. Paul Huseman

    June 18, 2015 at 1:28 pm

    yea. i rode that one out, trusting to my fellow shipmates, such as yourself, to get us through, and you did. kudos to the helm and bridge.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

secret Blogger

Status : surviving highschool

How the Cookie Crumbles

Life and scribbles on the far side of SIXTY-FIVE

a story of Southern agriculture

Me, My Magnificent Self

Living Life as a Celebration

Kira Moore's Closet

Ever Moving Forward

%d bloggers like this: